Expense Reimbursement for Faculty
If you have been told that you qualify for reimbursement, please read the following.
Before you start, make sure you have:
- The U of T travel reimbursement form ready
- Clearly documented the business purpose, e.g. conference registration or meeting agenda
- Original receipts AND proof of payment
- Foreign currency conversions (Bank of Canada daily rate) or credit card statements
- You should have: original boarding passes, a full itinerary with details of the airfare booking, and proof of payment
- Tickets should be the least expensive economy class fare. All other business class and premium economy travel may be permitted (e.g. for flights in excess of 6 hours or for medical reasons) if pre-authorized by the principal, dean, director or senior executive to whom the traveler reports
- If an E-ticket is used, at least one of the following is required in addition to the e-ticket and original receipt:
- a boarding pass (paper or printed copy of the image of the electronic boarding pass that clearly indicates flight/train information)
- hotel bill at the travel destination
- taxi/transit receipts to/from the airport/train station
- certificate of conference attendance
- No reimbursement can be claimed for tickets purchased with personal frequent flyer points
- You will need hotel receipts showing length of stay, costs/day incurred; proof of payment must be included.
- If multiple individuals are sharing a room, you must show names involved, as only the person who incurred the cost can claim the reimbursement.
- To take advantage of corporate discounts and wholesale rates, bookings should be made through the Travel Center
- Boarding passes must be submitted
- Itinerary must be included
- Proof of payment (credit card, original receipts) must be included
Car Rentals and Personal Vehicles
- Car rental agreement must be included.
- Proof of payment must be included.
- To take advantage of U of T discounts, reservations should be arranged through the Travel Center and payments should be made with the Corporate Travel Card. A personal vehicle may be used for round trips up to 500 km, where it constitutes the most economical mode of travel or where no suitable public transportation is available.
- Km rate allowable is currently $0.54/km. If mileage is claimed, gas receipts cannot be submitted as well.
- Your claim must include Google Maps of start/end locations to support the total kms claimed
- You must include a receipt
- You must include taxi chits showing date, to/from location, and cost
- Only the individual who incurred the expense can claim the reimbursement
- Excess baggage charges are not reimbursable.
- Traffic fines are not reimbursable.
- Service charges on personal credit cards are not reimbursable.
- Personal entertainment expenses are not reimbursable.
- When personal travel is combined with business travel, the employee will be reimbursed for only the business portion of the trip at the lowest available fare