Promotions Information & Application
The following resources will help you prepare your CV and Teaching Dossier to match U of T’s standardized requirements.
- The Why’s and How’s of Academic Promotions – Presentation by Fei-Fei Liu, Shun Wong, Drew Loblaw, Rebecca Wong - Promotions-April-24-2014-v5.pptx
- FoM CV Template - CV Template.docx (38.7 KB)
- Teaching and Education Report (Quantitative) - Teaching and Education Report Template - w instructions.docx (83.92 KB)
- CPA Report Template - Creative Professional Activity Report.docx (28.55 KB)
- Table 1: External Referees - table 1 External Referees.doc (164.5 KB)
- Table 2: Internal Referees - table 2 Internal Referees.doc (167.5 KB)
- Table 3: Data Summary Sheets (Research Awards) - table 3 Data Summary Sheets (Research Awards) (1).doc (110 KB)
- Table 4: Data Summary Sheets (Research Supervision) - table 4 Data Summary Sheets (Research Supervision).doc (184.5 KB)
- Table 5: Data Summary Sheets (Refereed Publications) - table 5 Data Summary Sheets (Refereed Publications).doc (128 KB)
- Table 6: Student Referees - table 6 Data Summary Sheets (Student Referees).doc (135 KB)
- Table 7: Data Summary Sheets (Teaching) - table 7 Data Summary Sheets (Teaching).doc (127 KB)
The 2017 Departmental Promotions Committee membership is listed below:
- Shun Wong (Chair)
- Charles Catton
- David Jaffray
- Andrew Loblaw
- Fei-Fei Liu
- Michael Milosevic
- Jolie Ringash
- Rebecca Wong
Please note there are two application deadlines for this process annually. The next deadline is June 23, 2017.
Promotion from Lecturer to Assistant Professor is considered when a faculty member:
- completes an Advanced Degree. If the faculty member holding a Lecturer appointment completes a recognized graduate program, he/she should be considered for promotion to Assistant Professor rank. The program must have been completed as documented by successful defense of a thesis or awarding of the degree before submission of the request for appointment. It is expected that the candidate will have at least five published peer-reviewed publications at the time of request for appointment.
- demonstrates sustained commitment to academic mission. If a faculty member demonstrates a sustained commitment to teaching, research and/or creative professional activity over a period of time as a Lecturer, he/she may be considered for appointment at the Assistant Professor rank. An application based on teaching excellence should be supported by a teaching dossier, which has been approved by the Departmental Appointments Committee (or Departmental Promotions Committee, as appropriate) for promotion to Assistant Professor rank. This could also be evidenced by advanced training experience deemed to be equivalent to a Master’s level program. In some cases one to two years of fellowship training or one to two years teaching certificate programs will be considered the equivalent to an advance degree. The timeline for such appointments is expected to conform to Departmental standards, often up to three years.
Sustained excellence in teaching is a possible criterion for promotion to this rank. To be promoted to assistant professor on the basis of excellent teaching alone, a lecturer would have to have ratings in the outstanding range 4.8-5.0/5 and capture high profile teaching awards for 5 years or more.
Applications for Junior Appointments must include:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae in proper format (in 3/5 publications, candidate must be first author)
- Teaching Dossier
- A copy of the initial offer of Academic Appointment letter signed by the Chair and appointee
- Three Internal letters of reference in addition to a letter of support by the candidate’s Department Head or immediate supervisor
All documents must be submitted electronically to Valeria Guido-Taylor.
Candidates who are recommended to proceed for promotion by the Departmental Promotions Committee will be asked to submit a full dossier by June 23, 2017. If you wish to be considered for academic promotion from Associate Professor to Professor, or Assistant Professor to Associate Professor, please inform and submit an updated WebCV to Valeria Guido-Taylor by June 23, 2017.
Your application should include the following documents:
- Current formatted CV
- Data Summary tables (Tables 3,4,5,7)
- Referee tables (Tables 1,2,6). Please provide 5 names for each category.
- Teaching and Education Report (Quantitative)
- Teaching Dossier
View templates and guides for these materials.
Candidates who are recommended to proceed by the Departmental Promotions Committee will be asked to submit further documents.
Questions about promotions? Email Valeria Guido-Taylor.