(Excludes: Innovation Snapshot, keynote addresses, plenary sessions, student moderated poster presentations)
Presentation Requirements and Content
- Each speaker is allowed a maximum of 10 minutes, followed by 2 minutes for questions. (Unless otherwise previously specified)
- Audio-visual requirements - Presentations must be compatible with PowerPoint. Slides should be standard aspect ratio (4:3). A laptop will be provided to run the slides.
- Please bring your PowerPoint presentation to the conference on a USB flash drive. Emailing yourself a copy as is also recommended (as a backup only). Note there is no wifi in the breakout room.
- After your title slide, you must include a Disclosure or Acknowledgement slide notifying the audience of any real or apparent conflict(s) of interest that may have a direct bearing on the subject matter of the program. If not applicable, indicate on the slide “Nothing to disclose.”
Content and Design Tips
- Appropriate pacing for presentations should be approximately 1 slide/minute so the audience can easily follow (10 minutes = 10 slides in total); though this depends the content of the slide
- If referencing is required, include them in the slide and not at the end (i.e. do not have a References slide)
- Use a 24- to 36-point font for slide text
- Limit bulleted text to two lines per bullet
- Use the six and six rule – no more than six words per line, no more than six lines per slide
We ask that you please upload your presentation to the laptop in advance of your session, ideally during the break preceding your session. At a minimum, please arrive to your session room 5-10 minutes before the start of the session to upload your slides if you have not done so. Each lecture room contains a laptop, an LCD projector, screen, digital timer, lectern with microphone, and slide advance remote with laser pointer. Each proffered session will have a moderator assigned to it you can assist you. If you require further assistance please come to the Ballroom.
The conference program, including presentation times for oral presentations should now be posted on the main conference website. At your session, the moderator will introduce you and will help ensure an efficient and timely start to each presentation. They are instructed to begin and end each session on time. During your presentation, please keep an eye on the moderator in your room – they will provide a 1 minute warning to complete your presentation. This allows you to ask questions if you finish your material early or increase your pace if you fall behind.
Size Requirements and Content
- The poster display board measures 72 x 36 inches. The recommended poster size is 48 x 36 inches. The poster sizing is up to the author’s discretion but it cannot exceed 72 x 36 inches.
- Posters must be printed on a single sheet of paper, card stock, or fabric, and may be laminated. Multiple sheet printouts are not acceptable.
- The size of the characters for the title should be at least 72 pt font size, headings at least 48 pt font size, and text at least 24pt font size
- Each poster should list at the top: the title, the name(s) of the author(s) and their affiliation(s). Relevant institutional logos are also recommended
- Suggested headings will depend on the content of the presentation, but may include: Introduction, Purpose/Objectives, Methods, Results, Conclusions
- Full sentences and/or point form can be used, as desired
- Figures and tables are recommended, and should be clear, simple, and when appropriate a legend included. These can be interspersed throughout, to balance text and graphics
- References do not need to be included on the poster, but should be available upon request
- Poster backgrounds should be simple, using solid and non-distracting colors (white background is recommended)
- Authors should list any potential conflicts of interest related to this work under an Acknowledgements subheading
Setup and Removal Instructions
Setup – Friday March 2, 2018, from 8:00 to 10:40AM in the Colony Ballroom West, Chestnut Conference Centre. All posters must be on display by 10:40 AM on Friday. If you are unable to setup by this time please arrange for a colleague to do so on your behalf. Mounting:
- A supply of Velcro dots will be available in the poster area for mounting the poster
- One poster per poster board side
- Each poster board will be identified by a number which will be prepared and put in place by the organizers. The assigned number will be listed in the conference program
Removal – Presenters are responsible for removing their posters by 4PM on Saturday March 3. Any posters that have not been taken down by that time will be considered abandoned and discarded.
Posters will be on display during the full conference on Friday and Saturday March 2-3 and during the Social Event on Friday March 2 from 5:00-8:00PM. Presenters are asked to attend the Social Event and to stay close to their posters in order to answer questions that might arise from other attendees.